The SETI Institute leads humanity’s quest to understand the origins and prevalence of life and intelligence in the universe and to share our knowledge with the world. Our over 100 scientists have been incredibly productive, publishing their research in peer-reviewed journals, presenting their learning at scientific conferences, supporting missions and conducting research in the field. All this even as COVID restrictions continue to limit access to some labs and field sites, force the cancellation of events, including lectures, and challenge us all to find new ways to study and study. to explore, collaborate and share. We are proud of the groundbreaking work that continues in our Carl Sagan Center for Research, as well as the programming of our Center for Education and our Center for Outreach.
57 peer-reviewed articles, including:
- Smith, JC; Morris, RL; Rumpf, C .; Longenbaugh, R .; McCurdy, N .; Henze, C .; Dotson, J. (2021). An automated bolide detection pipeline for GOES GLM, Icarus, 368, 114576.
- Jenniskens, P .; Lauretta, DS; Towner, MO; Heathcote, S .; Jehin, J .; et al. (2021). Meteor showers from long period comets, Icarus, 365, item number 114469.
- Farah, W., Pollak, AW, Siemion, APV, Antonio, F., Schoultz, S., Hickish, J., et. Al. (2021). FRB20201124A double peak radio light burst detected with Allen Telescope Array, The astronomer’s telegram, 14676, 1.
- Ertem, G. (2021). The role of minerals in the events leading to the origin of life, Astrobiology, 21, 137-150.
- Cartwright, RJ; Beddingfield, CB; Roser, JE; Showalter, MR; et al. (2021). The case of science for the space exploration of Uranian satellites: candidate oceanic worlds in a giant ice system, Journal of Planetary Sciences, 2, 120.
Summaries and proceedings of the conference:
- bishop, JL; Schiffman, P .; Gruendler, L .; Murad, E .; Dyar, MD; et al. (2021). Sulphate-opal-phyllosilicate assemblages at the Kilauea caldera as analogue for surface weathering on Mars. Workshop on Earth analogues for planetary exploration, Abstract # 8055.
- Jin, M.; Loyd, P .; Boro Saikia, S .; Lueftinger, T. Global MHD Modeling of stellar winds and CMEs of Epsilon Eridani, Ultraviolet Stars and Planets Symposium, May 3-5, 2021, Virtual.
- OL white et al. (2021). A world geological map of Pluto at 1: 7M scale, 2021 Annual Meeting of Planetary Geological Cartographers, June 14-15, abstract # 7009.
Technical reports and data publications:
- French, RG; McGhee-French, California; Gordon, MP (2020). Earth-Based Uranus Stellar Occultations User Guide.
- Jin, M. (2021). SDO V2 machine learning dataset enabled SpaceML.
- Bishop, JL Compact Reconnaissance Imaging Spectrometer for Mars (CRISM), a visible / near infrared hyperspectral imager (VNIR) on the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO). The work includes mapping the composition of rocks and characterizing the aqueous weathering at the surface that limits the history of water and geochemical processes on Mars. 2002-ongoing.
- Kagawa H BioNutrients-1 project, ongoing 2019-2024. Return samples from the International Space Station every ~ 6 months.
- Rosner, southwest Support from SOFIA Scientific instrument development team, in progress.
- Sarrazin, PC Mars science laboratory Member of the scientific team, Path Instrument, in progress.
- Sobron, P. Nasa March 2020 member of the scientific team of the rover mission, SHERLOC and SuperCam development and operation of the instrument, in progress.
- Doyle, L. Three-week expedition to Southeast Alaska involving 12 investigators.
- Fenton, L. Fieldwork in Smith Creek Valley, NV, United States, June 4-22, 2021. Objective: To study environmental controls on the formation, morphology and behavior of dust devils.
- Harman, Pennsylvania Girl Scout Astronomy Club training, June 27-30, 2021.
SEE THE FULL ACTIVITY REPORT HERE.