FIU Partners with Data Science Training Provider Metis to Offer Bootcamp for High-Demand Tech Skills | FIU News
Metis, a leading provider of data science and analytics training and part of global educational services provider Kaplan, has partnered with Florida International University, Miami’s public research university, to launch FIU Data Science Bootcamp, an immersive 24-week online program starting in October.
Created and designed by leading data scientists at Metis, the FIU Data Science Bootcamp offers a project-based curriculum to help learners create a portfolio of real-world work that can make them uniquely job-ready in the growing field of data science. The following six 4-week courses make up the duration of the bootcamp:
- Fundamentals of Python and math: In this introductory course, learn basic Python programming skills and the mathematical foundations essential to data science. In addition to basic coding principles, the course covers linear algebra, calculus, probability, and statistics.
- Exploratory data analysis: Learn how to take advantage of tools such as SQL and advanced Python libraries, studying the fundamentals of exploratory data analysis.
- Business Fundamentals for Data Practitioners: Learn the skills needed to gain meaningful insights from data, which can help learners make better business decisions.
- Linear Regression and Data Acquisition: Learn how to acquire data, plus the basics of linear regressions, cross-validation, feature engineering, and more.
- Classification of machine learning: Explore multiple classification methods, from common algorithms to advanced models used by many companies today, and learn how to apply them in a practical use case.
- Natural Language Processing (NLP) and Unsupervised Learning: Study dimensionality reduction, clustering, and recommendation systems to build a knowledge base in NLP and unsupervised learning.
“This partnership demonstrates FIU’s continued commitment to equipping our learners with the skills and knowledge necessary to take full advantage of lucrative and in-demand career opportunities in any industry,” said Dr. Elizabeth M. Béjar, Vice – Interim President, Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, Florida International University.
“We couldn’t be more excited to partner with Florida International University to create this data science boot camp that will help learners get and stay ahead of the game in a competitive work,” said Roberto Reif, Executive Director and Chef of Metis. “From personalized career assistance that extends beyond completion of the data science bootcamp to one-on-one career counseling to job search tutorials that teach learners how to create an impressive resume, the program provides them with all the resources they need to help them achieve their career goals.”
Learners interested in enrolling in the October bootcamp, which includes a rigorous admissions process, should complete their application here before the October 3 deadline. Students interested in enrolling individually in one of the six 4-week courses can do so, without an admissions process.